Find the answer to your question
What is the difference between the two fields ExternalProductID and ProductListingDetails ? When should I use each of the fields when listing / revising items?
These fields help you list your item an eBay Catalog product. The advantage of using these fields is that it helps you pre-fill item information, like the standard attributes, description and picture. You can only use one of the fields in your request.
Here is an overview of the two fields:
ExternalProductID: can take in a ISBN, UPC or EAN (for Books Media Movies Games), keywords for Tickets and eBay ProductIDs (memento strings).
If you choose to use ExternalProductID:
- You do not need to know the eBay ProductID
- It automatically populates the description, attributes and photo - the user does not have an option to not use it.
- It si supported only in AddItem.
ProductListingDetails: takes only the eBay ProductID.
If you choose to use ProductListingDetails:
- You have the option of using eBay's product description, attributes and photo.
- It is supported in AddItem, RelistItem and ReviseItem.
Here are some use cases that will help understand when to use the fields:
Case1: Listing an eBay Catalog item in BMMG categories
- You can take the short cut of using ExternalProductID (no need to find the eBay ProductID)
- If you want to list with your own picture then find the eBay productID and use ProductListingDetails
Case2: Listing an eBay Catalog item in non BMMG categories
- Find the eBay ProductID and use ProductListingDetails.
Case3: Item listed without any product details and need to add the product information
- Find the eBay ProductID and make a ReviseItem call with ProductListingDetails *
- or end the item and make an AddItem call with ExternalProductID if listing in BMMG or ProductListingDetails if listing in non BMMG categories
Case4: Item that was listed without any product details has ended
- Find the eBay ProductID and make a ReListItem call with ProductListingDetails *
- Make an AddItem call with ExternalProductID if listing in BMMG or ProductListingDetails if listing in non BMMG categories
* ReviseItem and RelistItem are preferrable in the context of preserving Recent Sales ratings for the item. See this blog post on Developer Impact: Recent Sales and Best Match for more information.
Documentation: The Catalog Product (Pre-filled Item) API